Sunday, February 20, 2011

Thoughts on patience

Patience
When do I need to give it, exercise it? When I am quick to anger and frustration?
1. Going someplace and waiting for someone
2. Working on something with someone
3. When I want someone to do something that I want
4. Teaching an idea or concept to someone
5. When things or situations do not go my way
6. Listening to someone and giving them a chance to talk and share
7. Anxious for a some type of event
Patience comes once I am done with myself. Needing patience and showing patience are too different things. Needing patience is much more indicative of a bad thing rather than a good one. When that changes is an indication that maturity is really entering in.
Needing patience is indicative of several things
1. There is a lack of self control
2. There is rapid motions of anger
3. Blatant frustration
4. Thinking that what I have to say is more important or more correct (Pride)
5. Pride
6. Indifference or hate instead of love
7. Not abiding (if I was I would see each moment for what they are instead of ruining them with an outburst of anger or frustration instead of self control and grace.)
8. Not walking with God
Most of the time patience is a just an exercise of self control, basically refraining from sin. It is not a virtue to refrain from getting upset or frustrated because someone is taking longer than you want them to. The virtue comes in a much higher form; in its purest sense (and what I want to be known for) is a patience that is hopefully waiting for something for someone. This type of patience stems from love and understanding. A proper patience for someone has their best interest at heart. It understands the process and steps that it takes to live this life to the fullest and therefore waits hopefully for others. To live out life in a composed nature is to see the big picture. When you see the big picture you can ascertain that it will not be conquered in a quick fashion. It will take perseverance, fortitude, and time to get where you want to go. Not having this picture in my will lead to frustration, anger, intolerance and agitation.
I think that one of the biggest factors in living patiently with people and life, in general, is having the big picture in mind. Knowing where you are going and how and what it will take to get there alleviates a lot of the frustration. If I was going on a trip to Kansas in which I needed to be there in two days, I would save myself a lot of irritation if I had a map compared to if I did not have a map. Could you imagine the lack of composure that would come from guessing how to get there? And with people, patience only comes from maturity. One of the key ingredients that are in maturity is understanding. You understand how you got to where you are at. You have a firm grasp on how life works. You have actually taken the trip to Kansas; you know how long it takes. If it took you 12 hours you would not expect it to only take someone else 6. You know that you cannot skip steps or make things go faster. This mindset can permeate all of life. When I am finally marked by it I know that I will be able to look in the mirror and see the reflection of God because He is the source of all patience. He is wise, He knows where we are going, He knows how and what it takes to get there. He remains without irritation and filled with composure because He came to this earth, He understands. He sits hopeful and waiting.
As a side note, I think and want others to know, that when I lose my patience that I look like a complete idiot and utter fool. It is a mark of immaturity and fleshly living.

No comments:

Post a Comment